BOOK CLUBS: I love talking to book clubs! Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a virtual visit.
BOOK DISCUSSION QUESTIONS:
1. Why was this title chosen for the book?
2. Purple Lotus begins with a Mark Twain quote. What's the significance of the lost doll in the book?
3. What specific themes does the author emphasize throughout the novel? What do you think she is trying to get across to the reader?
4. Purple Lotus is a dual timeline book. Why did the author choose to weave in Tara's memories of her childhood (set in Mangalore) to her story? How is the backstory intrinsic to Tara's current life in Atlanta?
5. Tara is an immigrant from India, and as such, her story illuminates a minority culture. Did any aspects of her life and her personality resonate with you? What makes her vulnerable at the beginning of the book?
6. Does Tara's story remind you of any experience in your life or evoke a memory?
7. Does Sanjay, the abusive husband, have any redeeming qualities?
8. What's the reason for the conflict in Tara's relationship with Cyrus?
9. How does Tara's character grow throughout the course of the story? What events trigger such changes?
10. What role do the secondary characters (Alyona, Ruth, Dottie, Zeenat) play in Tara's growth?